BLANTYRE: Over the moon!
Former 'Official Hostess' to the late dictator Kamuzu Banda, Mama Cecilia Kadzamira has won the Life Time Achiever award in an exercise organised by the Woman of Distinction Awards held over the weekend in Lilongwe.
Catherine Chipembere, wife of the late prominent politician Henry Masauko Chipembere, who rebelled against Banda in the 1960s, won an award for her charity work, while Felicity Malewezi, wife of retired vice president Justin Malewezi, won the National Woman of Distinction.
"It's a great surprise...I never dreamt of it," she said, when her name was announced at well-attended event where the First Lady Callista Mutharika was guest of honour.
"The award is coming because of all of you people. I have gone through thick and thin but have always had support and love from the people of this country."
She pocketed K800, 000 -- half the money will go to her charity of her choice.
Others who received the awards were:
- Chrissy Katundu--Agriculture.
- Gertrude Kasopa--Education.
- Maureen Chirwa—Health
- Mary Waya—Sports
- Gloria Banda—Media
- Grace Chinga—Music
- Felicity Malewezi--Science and Technology
- Kate Mkandawire--Public Service
- Thembi Thabvi --Young Woman Leader
- Catherine Chipember—Charity
- Jane Namasasu--Maternal Health
- Sakina Nyenje --Women's Champion
- Annie Fletcher—Business
- Standard Bank--Equal Opportunity Employee
- Felicity Malewezi--National Woman of Distinction.
©2012 The Maravi Post. Reproduction authorised, with usual acknowledgment