LILONGWE—From the get-go Malawi has denied involvement in the alleged plot to attack former attorney general and human rights activist Ralph Kasambara.
On Saturday MaraPost, quoting a credible State House source, identified a man who drove a gang of five to Kasambara's offices. The driver works as a valet at the State House.
On the same day Malawi News published the names of three men - two escaped - Kasambara’s security team apprehended. Speaking while in police custody, Kasambara said the trio had confessed to have been sent by the ruling party to petro bomb his offices.
Authorities said the former attorney general was detained for torturing the men but Kasambara denies the charges.
On Tuesday, an opposition lawmaker, a former member of the ruling party, told parliament he knew Kasambara’s assailants.
"They work for the National Intelligence Services and I am the one who brought them to the DPP. The one who drove them works for State House and he had a petrol drum in his vehicle," said Uladi Mussa (Salima South), leader of Maravi People’s Party.
But Minister of Justice and Constitutional Affairs Ephraim Mganda Chiume dismissed Mussa’s statements as not having any merit.
What has however surprised many is the fact the three men were released shortly after they were handed over to police without any charges.
This isn’t the first time that individuals critical of Mutharika have been targeted. Last year, unknown attackers petro bombed the house of Rev. MacDonald Sembereka and the offices of Rafiq Hajat. The attackers are still at large.
And Like Kasambara, the Sembereka and Hajat were involved in anti-government protests organised civil society organisations after they accused the Mutharika administration of economic mismanagement and restricting rights.
The Kasambara incident last Monday happened after he called for the impeachment of Mutharika, saying he had failed to govern the country and exhibited dictatorial tendencies.
---©2012 The Maravi Post. Reproduction authorised, with usual acknowledgment